Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) Technician
AID is a growing yet established consulting firm located in central New Jersey, offering professional services in non-destructive testing and evaluation (NDT/NDE) of highway infrastructure (bridges and pavements), pavement evaluation and design, geotechnical design, and subsurface investigation, subsurface and utility mapping, and forensic studies. AID owns and operates an array of NDT equipment, including a Laser Crack Measurement System (LCMS), Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD), various air-launched and ground-coupled Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) antennas, and many others such as a high-speed profiler and walking profilers. In addition, AID runs its own soil, asphalt, and concrete materials testing laboratory.
Advanced Infrastructure Design, Inc. (AID), a certified SBE/WBE/DBE company, has an opening available for a qualified Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) technician. The ideal candidate will primarily provide support to the SUE division within our Non-destructive Testing (NDT) Group.
This full-time field technician position will primarily involve geophysical/electronic location and designation of subsurface utilities using surface geophysical equipment, including RF Pipe and Cable Locators, Ground Penetrating Radar, electromagnetic induction devices, record research, and documenting the work through the preparation of sketches, spreadsheets, and written reports. Ability to work without direct supervision is required. The ideal candidate should be prepared to work in the field, performing both utility mark out (locating, subsurface utility engineering) and geophysical surveying activities. This position also entails office work, including, but not limited to, assisting with proposal preparation, using geophysical equipment software to interpret field data, and providing written reports with findings as well as presenting findings on CAD maps/plans. The candidate will perform this work mostly under the supervision of a senior engineer. The potential candidate must be open to work during day/night shifts and occasionally on the weekends. He/she will also be expected to assist in other areas of work, as needs dictate.
This position will involve increasing responsibility, based on his/her performance and the needs of the company.
The ideal candidate should have, at a minimum, an associate degree in engineering, or a related field.
In addition, the following are also desired:
- 2-5 years of relative SUE experience is preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of utility systems and layout
- Electromagnetic Induction (EMI) operation
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) operation
- Experience with CAD drafting is a plus but not required
- Experience working behind a vacuum excavation truck is desirable.
- Some experience with electronics (preferred)
- Able to work in outdoor environments and long hours
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to learn new software packages
- The candidate should be proficient with the use of computers, including MS Excel and Word.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, and/or carry up to 50 lbs.
Interested candidates should send resumes via email to Manuel Celaya: firstname.lastname@example.org
AID is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year, depending on experience and credentials.
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Hourly pay
- Outdoor work
- 8-hour shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Nights as needed
- Weekend availability
PPE equipment is available for all employees.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Township of Hamilton, NJ 08691: The ability to commute or plan to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Utility locating: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person